How will you meet Trauma Informed Care standards required under the Phase 3 Requirements of Participation (ROP)?
Trauma-informed care is an organizational structure and treatment framework that involves understanding, recognizing, and responding to the effects of all types of trauma. Trauma informed care emphasizes physical, psychological and emotional safety for staff, families, and the residents we serve. It helps survivors rebuild a sense of control and empowerment.
Proactive recommends a comprehensive training program to address the standard F699- Trauma Informed Care; F741- Sufficient & Competent Staff;
- Recognize that trauma is prevalent and individuals in the facility have potentially been affected by trauma
- Responding to this risk by incorporating evidence based knowledge on the topic into practice
- Put measures into place to reduce the likelihood of re-traumatization
- Safety- keep resident and staff emotionally and physically safe
- Trustworthy & Transparent- make certain that tasks & boundaries are clear
- Peer Support
- Collaboration & Mutuality- build in opportunities for participation
- Empowerment, Voice & Choice-offer control and choice as much as possible, empower residents and staff to be involved with decisions
- Cultural, Historical & Gender Issues- think about differences in perception
- Person-centered care planning processes
- Staff competency – must be culturally-competent and trauma informed
- Screening processes- for trauma upon admission and thereafter
- Evaluation of services in the community
Benefits gained from this implementation include: reduction in patient & staff injury, decreased LOS, decreased recidivism (a tendency to relapse into a previous condition or mode of behavior), enhanced therapeutic skill set for staff, and improved employee & patient satisfaction surveys!
Download the Trauma-Informed Care Competency Tool-Kit
This Tool-kit is intended to supplement or enhance current SNF/NF educational programs for Restorative Nursing Programs to meet the intent of the new Requirements of Participation for competency based training. Learn more about the Trauma-Informed Care Tool-kit here.
Download our PDPM Moving Mountains on Demand Training
This webinar series guides providers in implementing a step-wise action plan to manage the industry changes taking effect in 2019 including Phase 3 RoP (Requirements of Participation) and preparing for the reimbursement transition from Medicare PPS RUGs IV to the Patient Driven Payment Model (PDPM). Learn more about PDPM Moving Mountains here.
Get more resources in our shop!
Patients rely on you. You can rely on us. Download toolkits, webinars, on-demand trainings, templates, and much more to meet the needs of your facility. Click here to visit our shop.